OptiLight by Lumenis
OptiLight is a light-based, non-invasive treatment focused on the skin around the eyes. OptiLight is the first and only IPL FDA-approved for dry eye management.
Dry eye disease is becoming increasingly common, affecting millions of people worldwide. This chronic condition can significantly impact your life, sometimes making even the smallest of tasks seem difficult.
If you have eye pain, blurry vision, and dry or watery eyes, it could be a sign that you have dry eye disease. But don’t worry! With an in-depth eye exam, our team can assess your vision and eye health to get you the treatment you need.
With treatments like OptiLight by Lumenis, we can help manage your dry eye symptoms and get you back to seeing clearly and comfortably. Keep reading to learn more about OptiLight by Lumenis and how it can improve your life.
What Is Dry Eye Disease?
Your tears are made up of 3 distinct layers, all of which work together to keep your eyes healthy:
- The oily layer prevents your tears from evaporating too quickly
- The watery layer delivers nutrients to your eyes
- The mucus layer keeps your tear film stuck to the surface of your eyes
What are the 2 Types of Dry Eye Disease?
There are two types of dry eye disease.
Evaporative Dry Eye (EDE)
EDE is the most common type of dry eye disease. This type of dry eye occurs when you lack the proper amount of oil in your tears. When this happens, your tears can evaporate too quickly, drying out your eyes. In some cases, EDE can be caused by meibomian gland dysfunction, a disorder where the meibomian glands in your eyes become blocked, limiting the amount of oil being produced for your tears.
Aqueous Tear Deficiency (ATD)
If you suffer from ATD, your eyes lack the aqueous layer in your tears. This means that your eyes aren’t producing enough tears to keep the eye moist, which can lead to irritating and uncomfortable symptoms.
What are the Symptoms of Dry Eye Disease?
If you are suffering from dry eye disease, you may notice any of the following symptoms:
- A burning or scratchy sensation in your eyes
- Stringy mucus in or around your eyes
- Irritated or overly-watery eyes
- Sensitivity to light or photophobia
- Eye redness, blurred vision, or eye fatigue
- A sensation of having something in your eyes
- Difficulty wearing contact lenses If you are experiencing any of these symptoms
Book an appointment to receive a dry eye disease diagnosis and get the treatment you need.
What is OptiLght by Lumenis?
OptiLight uses pulses of light precisely administered in the area below the eyes to reduce dry eye symptoms. This 10-15 minute procedure can relieve dry eye symptoms by:
- Increasing tear break-up time
- Reducing the amount of demodex mites and bacteria around your eyes
- Decreasing inflammation inflammation
- Improving meibomian gland functionality